Saturday, September 6, 2008

What to do in the face of the politics of today

I found myself in a situation today where I wanted to react, to respond in kind to something that someone said about Obama. I know despite my attempts to be unbiased, I am sure my leanings toward Obama are evident. And today I read something someone I know wrote that called him a moron, and in the same breath she talked about how Sarah Palin was amazing. Immediately I wanted to write a scathing post here about Palin, but then was forced to remember my whole purpose in having this blog, which is to stop the politics of today, and encourage the politics of tomorrow. 

So what do we do in the face of such opposition? I love Obama, I believe in his vision. I also believe in McCain and the good he has done and would like to do for our country. I would probably react the same way to someone calling McCain a moron. When a response isn't demanded, I suppose the best response is to ignore it. But sometimes it is hard to believe that we can fight the forces that want to bring conflict into politics. 

But I think also it is important to understand why such things happen. Perhaps her calling Obama a moron is some residual feeling such as the one that prompted me to want to respond. Because when you attack a candidate that people believe in, you don't just attack the candidate, you attack those people. 

But I think we can rise. I don't have to drop down and become petty and angry, because I believe in an American politics where we can be civil and respectful. I believe in an America where politics can be ruled by friends who disagree, without making enemies out of them. I believe in an America where I can be involved in politics and not have to hate anyone the more for it. Today I felt slapped in the face with the politics of today, but I am trying to turn my cheek with the politics of tomorrow.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

"Today I felt slapped in the face with the politics of today, but I am trying to turn my cheek with the politics of tomorrow."

That's good. I never thought of it that way.

That said, what do you think of Sarah Pallin?

Stefan said...

Though I wish that politics could be uplifting and not deal with all the useless, petty bickering, a cooperative set of candidates seems so far removed from culture to even be realistic anymore. Even debates, the main source of promoting one's own policies, are created and directed so that candidates insult one another rather than lift themselves.

Jennie said...

Stefan, I think you make a good point - that the debates are the main source of promoting policies. I wish we would see more forums like the one I shared on here. I think it is a much better setting, because it doesn't pin person against person. And I don't see how debating is really an accurate judgment of what kind of president someone will be.