Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Michelle Obama Inspires Me

You know what I love about the Obamas - they inspire me. From the first time I heard Barack at the Convention 4 years ago, to hearing Michelle speak at the convention on Monday. They are inspiring people, and they have a vision of America - a vision that includes me, includes you. It is a vision where we are all working together to make it a better place.

Michelle Obama expressed something that documents the change exactly that has taken place for me. She talks about seeing America not just as it is, but as it should be. I used to only see it as it is - and I was cynical, and didn't want to think about politics. And now I see it as it should be, and I cannot help but feel responsible for making a change. I can't think of how I think America should be and not try to make that happen. And as I have come to view America as it should be, I have also come to realize the process whereby cynicism about politics comes. And it is mainly because there is no money to be made for the media in reporting the great things that politicians are doing. And also that mudslinging works, but that is for another post.

It is the Obamas belief in me that has made me believe in me. And I think it is amazing. Because they are giving the country back to us - the everyday citizens.

I feel like they are doing for politics what Gore is doing for the environment. Getting people to take personal responsibility, to actually think about it, and make a change. The world is better having them in it.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

"She talks about seeing America not just as it is, but as it should be."

That's a really powerful idea. I'm not sure that I see America as it is because I really can't believe that it's as bad as the media has made me believe it is. But I am overly cynical about people, which leads to cynicism about politics. I remember believing in an ideal America as a child. Maybe you're right. Maybe we can bring that dream closer to being a reality.

Most often I think that it's broken and it works well enough broken so let's just leave it alone. But--oh!--what we could accomplish if only it wasn't broken!