Tuesday, September 30, 2008

John McCain disappoints me (and a bit on Sarah Palin)

I still need to look into Biden, I know. And there is probably more research that needs to be done on Palin, but I was looking back and it's been almost a month since I was asked what I think of her. I really do not think that much about her. It is more about McCain that I think. I think - why did he put her in this position. In her situation, I can understand why she would accept the offer, but it is obvious that she is unprepared for the national political climate. She is naiive, and knows very little about national issues, let alone to have much of an opinion or direction on them. But I don't think it's her fault, really. I have no idea what kind of governor or mayor she was. She could have been a great one, but I think she is ill-prepared to be the vice president of this country, and I think it shows a sign of desperation by McCain. 

I have also been disappointed with McCain in other areas of his campaign. He used to host a straight talk express. The press could come onto his plane and ask him any question they wanted, and he would answer. In July, he stopped it altogether. He will now only answer the press's questions where the answer will fit nicely on a 30-second clip, and go along with the campaign platform, instead of giving any sort of actual explanation. 

My husband wonders if "the real John McCain" (as we refer to his old self) ever really existed. I still think he did, but I wonder how much of that he is willing to give up to get elected. And after all, I think it is what you are willing to do to get elected that changes you more as a politician than the power that you have. And so while I hope, that if McCain were elected, we would see the return of "the real McCain", I am not sure there is much basis for that hope.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I've been wondering lately what you thought of the current political climate, so I'm glad you've returned to this blog.

We've started getting the Salt Lake Tribune and every day they have a little portion dedicated to presidential campaign "stuff". Usually they have a column of misleading quotes from both candidates and explanations of the truth behind their statements. As disheartening as that has been, I've been even more disheartened by the bombardment of anti-McCain advertising I've seen. I know it's because my friends are Obama supporters and that McCain is doing the same thing to discredit his opponent. The truth behind the mudslinging matters less to me than the weight of disappointment I feel. I might not have agreed with Obama's policies, but I thought he was better than that. A leader with integrity.

Is this just inevitable? And must I disregard it when casting my vote next month?

I've decided to focus on local politics, for now. It seems more important and less wearying than this "historic" presidential election.

Carolyn said...

So, I've finally decided my votes. I got my voting brochure a month ago and I've been going through, slowly and carefully, trying to make wise decisions. I'm excited about the local issues and politicians, since that's where my vote counts the most.

As far as president, I've decided to vote for Bob Barr. After everything that's been said and everything that's happened, I've decided that I'm a libertarian at heart. I think Obama and McCain are both trying to please the people too much and their mucking around in things the government should just let be. I know Barr isn't going to be elected but at least I can leave the voting booth with a clear conscious, knowing I cast my ballot for a man I feel is capable of leading (and not just following) this nation in a time of crisis.

I'd love to see another post here, Jennie.

~PakKaramu~ said...

Visiting your blog