Sunday, August 17, 2008

Different Directions

My next person to blog about was Mary Landrieu, and I would still like to. I like her. But as I was lying in bed, trying to get to sleep, and thinking about writing, my mind wandered over to this blog, and it made me think about a few issues, and how to deal with them, and I thought, hey, it's a blog, I can ask my readers, and not just decide myself!

So readers...though you may be few in number, you can still make great contributions!

I'll have to ask my husband to find me a link to this pastor discussion that went on last night, because I think anyone interested in my blog would be interested in the kind of discussion that the pastor had, instead of the typical debates where nothing real is actually said.

But the real thing that brought me to writing today was considering John Edwards. I guess I don't get the big deal of the whole sex scandal, and I don't understand how political careers are ruined by sex scandals. Careers being ruined by taking bribes, sexual or monetary, that I understand. Careers being ruined by people stealing or in other ways using their power unethically, that I understand. But I do not understand how we as a nation expect more from our political leaders than we tend to expect from ourselves. It is hard to find statistics on infidelity that are reliable, but it doesn't seem all that uncommon to me.

I suppose to me, honesty in a politician is much more important than fidelity in his/her marriage. I would rather the politician announce to the world that they had an affair, and go through whatever process of penance that they do with their spouse, rather than feeling obligated to try and hide it. But I suppose there are arguments for doing so.

My husband pointed out that we don't get honesty in politics anyway, so the point is moot. I, however, being idealistic as I am, would like to think that we can at least have more honesty in our politics, and I think our nation would be the better for it.

I suppose my new aspiration is to be able to use this blog, at least in part, to discuss the problems that we as citizens see with the world of politics, and what we can do to combat those problems, and what you guys want me to do with this blog.

So I suppose my first issue for discussion - what is the cause of dishonesty currently in our political system? How can it be combated? How can we as voters and constituents show that we value honesty? Is honesty a concept that even matters that much to other people in a politician, or are other values or attributes more important?

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

OK, so I'm trying to give everyone immediate feedback so they know they're being read. But I want to think about this for a while and not just respond with my usual unrestrained mental spasms. So I'll be back.

Carolyn said...

So, I've been thinking a lot about this and I'm just not sure that I there is much I can do to change the integrity of politicians. I can vote for who I feel is the most honest. Or I can go into politics myself. I can't make other people change. We live in a fallen world where people who lie and cheat often get the best deal (for now). And I can't force other people to change! I can only change myself.

When Christ comes, we will have a perfect government ruled by a perfect king. And we will be a community that shares and is honest and kind. How I long to emulate that here and now! I don't know if we can.

Maybe I'll think about this some more.

Jennie said...

As much as I think it will be great and amazing when Christ comes, I don't think that that relieves any burden from us now on trying to do all we can to change the face of politics.

My point is that it seems like in our society, people vote for people who appear to be perfect, and as soon as that perfect image is shattered, we go on to be deceived by the next person.

And I don't believe that the only person that I can impact is myself and myself alone with my vote. I think there is power to influence the shape of politics, right here form my computer, by communicating with the community at large. I don't want to know just what ideas people think might work - I want all the crazy ideas so we can come together and inspire each other to see America in a new way, to see it as our nation, that we are capable of changing and making better. Because I believe that. I don't believe that I have to accept sound-byte politics as the norm. I don't know what would be better, but I sure want to try and work to find that out, and make it come to pass as much as I can.

Carolyn said...

Yes, I agree that we have the responsibility to make things the best we can here and now. I just get so discouraged by how far we are from the paragon. And yes, I will have to concede that you have the power to provoke other people to change and that the more people that get on board, the more power there will be behind the momentum to change. I mean, I wasn't particularly interested in any of this until this blog came along. So thanks. I guess I'd just given up on politics and that's far from being helpful.

As to what we can do: Did you go to the American Heritage devotional two years ago at BYU? They invited a Harvard professor to come and speak about his new book. The hypothesis was that if we had more block parties, attended more community centers, and just plain got to know our neighbors, the face of our government would improve. He observed that there had been a significant drop-off in community involvement in the last few decades, which was accompanied by loss of faith in the government. As we become detached from each other, perhaps we also become detached from our leaders. We see them as faceless entities that we cannot influence. I know I certainly feel that way. We don't get to know the good-hearted people around us and so when we interact with that vocal minority that is angry, stressed, dishonest, or violent, we assume that all people are like that. Since we are electing people to government, we theorize that it will not be possible to keep them honest and that we should just deal with it.

Maybe we're just not making enough Amish Friendship Bread.

I used to believe very firmly in the power of one person to make a difference. Working at Step Beyond has left me very disillusioned. I didn't make a difference for anyone there. I started to doubt that anyone could change at all. I have only recently regained my faith in my own ability to change myself but I still find it hard to believe that I can change anything else. I have enough influence to change my home. Can I extend that out? Can I make a difference to change my neighborhood? What could I do that would change my ward? Or my city? My nation? Can I really change my nation?

Jennie said...

First of all - you probably made more of a difference at Step Beyond than you think you did. Just because the people didn't change as much or in the ways that you wanted doesn't mean that you didn't have an impact for good.

And I think you're right about involvement in the community and with our neighbors. And that is something that can be easier to change. And that is a place to start, by reaching out to those physically around us. I remember in my neighborhood growing up we had an annual halloween parade. It was something that brought us together.

And I believe in a vision where my small political blog can impact the face of national politics. I don't think that it can be the only thing, but I hope that by me trying, I can inspire other people to try, to have people's faith restored in politics. That is one reason that I love Obama - because I feel like he has given America back to me - put it in not just the hands of politicians to make a change, but me too. It is my responsibility and civic duty to do what I can to change what small segment, but also to inspire others to believe in their ability to change.

There is a quote on his website that gives me chills every time I read it -

"I'm asking you to believe. Not just in my ability to bring about change in Washington...I'm asking you to believe in yours."

We have to think that we can make a difference, otherwise we will just be the disillusioned electorate that doesn't care, and we let the interests groups and everyone else have power over the country. I want the power back in our hands, back in the hands of every day citizens, and I want politicians to not just go back to giving us a choice between two mediocre or bad candidates - I want all elections to give us the kind of choice we have this November.

Carolyn said...

So, inspired by you, I was thinking about making a neighborhood blog. There are a few women in my ward that I just realized yesterday I have impacted for the good. They are more self-confident and creatively expressive because of their interaction with me. I'm not trying to toot my own horn. Just saying, maybe I can make an impact. So that's the other thing that inspired me. What I was thinking about doing was interviewing a woman in my neighborhood once a week and finding out the three things that they are passionate about and what they are doing in their lives right now about those passions. My friend, Alisha, is a photographer and she offered to take their pictures. I would get to know them, they would start thinking about the impact they are making on those around them, and maybe people in our neighborhood would read it and get to know them too. That was my great idea. I don't know if it's biting off more than I can chew, though. If I decide that this is all important enough to commit to, than that's how I want to make a change for the better. By bringing my neighborhood together, I can increase our faith in the government and our power to change.

Jennie said...

That sounds like a wonderful idea! And if you find it is too much for you, back off and just do it once a month, or put less pressure on yourself. But I think that sounds like a great idea! I look forward to reading it!